Monday, August 17, 2009
So a while back I boasted about all of the great things I had found at an Estate Sale. On of those items was on old ratty looking piano bench. It wasn't that great looking at the time, but I saw the potential it had to be something great. So I brought it home and this weekend I finally got around to doing something with it. Here's the before picture: Add a little wood stain, some new fabric, LOTs of sanding and I have myself a new bench that will sit in the front entry:
Monday, August 3, 2009
My little brothers wedding was a much anticipated event. They had asked people to dress in "jazz era attire" if we so desired. And so, as you might have read previously, I set out to make Wyatt a little newsboy outfit to wear to the wedding and I needed to make a slip to go under my dress. I also had to sew buttons on my husbands pants so he could wear suspenders. It was a lot of work getting it all done (on top of finishing the quilt!), but I did it. The day before the wedding we spent downtown Portland looking for hats to match our attire. My husband found a great panama-style hat for a super great price and he looked so good in it! I'm sure you are all anxious for pictures so here you go: The wedding was so much fun. It was great to see that lots of people dressed up. Everyone looked so fantastic! We had such a great time and Wyatt even stayed up until nearly midnight dancing with mom and dad!
Although I didn't manage to do any blogging while on vacation at my parents house, I did manage to sneak in a little sewing. I was inspired by a cheap little cotton dress I got at Old Navy and some beautiful pink linen I found at the fabric store. And so I did a little google searching for some advice on the image I had in my head. I think my dress turned out darling and it's so comfortable to wear when it's hot.
I know that my blog posts are long overdue, but I'm finally home from the wedding festivities and a week long vacation at my parents house. There "should" be a bunch of posts coming soon. I wanted to start with my secret project I've been working on for the last 6 months or so. It was a quilt for the newly married Hope and Sebastien. I had asked them what colors they used to decorate and I pretty much got that they used red, orange, green, blue and whatever other color they liked. So, I started collecting batik fabrics and came up with an assortment of colors. My hubby told me (later, of course) that he was sceptical of what the quilt was going to look like after seeing all the fabric I had collected. Anyway - once the quilt was finished I was wishing I could keep if for myself - but I gave it away.